Saturday, June 15, 2013

Simplicity 2226

A couple of my friends and I have started having "craft day."  So much fun for an old lady at heart like me!  Sarah and I both decided to make Simplicity 2226.  I've been on a serious mission to use up some of my fabric stash, so the crazy purple floral from Hancock seemed like a great choice.  It's a good feeling to get fabric out of my fabric chest and into my closet!

I measured pretty carefully and the pattern told me to cut a size 12.  Well, it was HUGE!  Both of us had to take it in about 3 inches after we finished.  Resizing wasn't the easiest with all of the gathers.  I just can't seem to get sizing right.

Otherwise, this pattern was a blast.  I love pockets and this project kicked off my summer of cotton skirts. With the South Carolina summer heat, cotton skirts and little tees are going to be my uniform for work in the coming months.

I made the longer length and omitted the tie (I did add the belt loops in case I decide to add it down the road).

I'm not sure that I will make a ton of these.  Theres a LOT of gathering and the skirt takes a ton of material.  I do love this one though.  I wasn't so sure about the wild purple material, but I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.

Here is a picture of all of our skirts from craft day:

Sarah (on the right) also made 2226, but in the shorter length.  Too much fun!!!

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Simplicity Lisette 2060

I haven't been blogging, but I have been sewing.  A lot!  I bought the Lisette 2060 pattern to make version B.  When I got pregnant and was starting to get a little belly, I decided version A would be perfect!  I bought orange chevron from and thought that it would be perfect for a Clemson game last fall.

I cut out a size 10, but had to take it in a lot around the waist. Now that I've had the baby, I just took the midsection in a little more and it fits perfectly!

The pattern was fun and easy.  It's only five pieces (because I omitted the cuff pieces) and I love the way the yoke came out. 

I thought then curved hem was a little difficult.  I tried to fold it up twice to encase the raw edge and it didn't lay flat along the curves.  I think next time I will serge the raw edge and fold it up one time.  Or maybe I'll just make it a straight hem. 

I wasn't sure how the chevron was going to look with the gathers in the front, but I think it turned out just fine!

I was in a little bit of a time pinch to finish before the game, so I omitted the buttons on the shoulder and the sleeve cuff.

Lisette patterns are quickly becoming my favorite!  I'm definitely going to make this one again!

Fun day in Clemson!

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Simplicity 2209 for Easter

I bought this awesome pink and yellow fabric at Hancock over a year ago and decided that it would be perfect for an Easter dress this year.  I paired it with the Lisette 2209 pattern and had a blast making it.
I ended up cutting and sewing the size 14. I was certain that it was going to be too big, but I followed the measurements on the pattern envelope and sure enough it was a perfect fit!
This dress is so much fun and was so easy to put together.  I cut it out one night and then sewed the whole thing the next night. 
The criss-crossing darts in the front are kind of different... I wasn't sure that I really loved them, but they're not that noticeable on this busy fabric.
I loved the facings on this dress.  They are secured down when you bias tape around the armholes.

I think that I will definitely make this dress again! The style is so simple and timeless.  I'm planning to make the jacket too.  I love these Lisette patterns! 
I am on a serious quest to use up some of my fabric stash, so it felt great to knock this project out! 

On that note, I'm headed to put some self tanner on those white legs!
My sweet little family!  Hope you had a great Easter!



Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Simplicity 2892

My blog has been sadly neglected, but I have been doing a ton of sewing!  I whipped up Simplicity 2892 in a couple of quick sittings and love the way it turned out.

I had this inexpensive orange paisley cotton from Walmart in my stash.  It's surprisingly soft and nice quality.  I've had a lot of problems with Walmart fabric washing poorly, but this fabric didn't disappoint.

My favorite part of this shirt is the yoke.  It was so simple and adds a lot to the shirt.

I finished the inside with french seams and used orange bias tape around the arm holes.

This shirt was fun, easy to make and a great wardrobe staple.  I will definitely be making it again!

Heading to dinner on the boat!