Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Few of my Favorite Projects to Date

Welcome to my crafty blog.  My mom has always sewn and I can remember making little American Girl doll quilts and outfits with her when I was little.  She even bought me a little mini sewing machine and taught me a thing or two, but it never stuck. 

About a year ago, my friend Lacey was getting married and was having her bridesmaid dresses custom made.  When I went to get fitted, I fell in love with a dupioni silk top that the designer had made.
I was so inspired that I went home and pulled out my mom's old Kenmore sewing machine.  I found some seersucker material that my mom had left over and an old orange table cloth.  I decided I was going to make a dress for the Clemson football game that weekend.  I didnt have a pattern or much of an idea what I was doing, but I did end up with a dress to wear!



I decided that for my next dress, I would definitely use a pattern.  I chose a Simplicity pattern by Cynthia Rowley (2497).  I absolutely adore a ruffle!  The dress went pretty smoothly with a a little help from the mom - it took me a little while to catch onto the "pattern lingo". 

I wore it to Lacey's rehearsal dinner and got tons of compliments (a few of the bridesmaids actually thought that the girl who made the bridesmaids dresses made this one too)! 



  Looking forward to using this blog to share my successes and epic fails (there have been quite a few already)!



1 comment: